Our next challenge is South Africa. The points table is complicated at the moment and we never know what will happen. However, what we have to do is to play some good cricket and win most of the remaining matches so that we will be in a good position in terms of motivation and team spirit to beat any top team. Already we had a nice game against England which gave us maximum confidence and still there are nice few days to prepare for the next game.
Talking about South Africa, we had a test series win against them recently and their bowling superstar Dale Steyn out of the tournament. Also they are in low confidence as they are already out of the world cup. But they have the possibility of crushing Sri Lankan’s dream. Their batting line up is heavily depend on Du Plessis and de Kock. Their bowling is all about Imran Thahir, Rabada and Ngidi . But recently we observed that Phehlukwayo making unpredicted troubles against Sri Lanka. He scores easy runs at the death and taking crucial wickets specially from our low middle order.
We underestimate him so he makes trouble most of the time. So we must study his bowling action and batting technique and try to get him out or make him play with out scoring boundaries. Otherwise he can get the game away from us. He has some variation with his bowling specially cross seam,slow cutters and few bouncers.
Also I want to highlight some mistakes we did against England.
- Kusal mendis getting out to Thahir by scoring an unnecessary sweep shot to a ball which was pitched out side of the off stump
- Not keeping a slip for Ben stokes when England was 9 down, he edged for runs to a length ball bowled by Pradeep when he was below 50 runs
- Dimuth Karunaratne’s dismissal to a low score
- Kusal Janith’s dismissal to third man
- Kusal mendis’s drop catch of Ben Stokes
- Jewaan Mendis’s less threatful bowling
- Jewaan Mendis’s careless batting by losing his wicket for the first ball he faced
But we had so many positives in that match. Hope we continue this form and improve more and display much better performance against the South Africans to get more momentum. We can’t control the other team’s matches. If we play good cricket we can hope for semi final spot.