OUR YOUNG TEAM MUST LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES THEY MADE TODAY.
Our young team although bowled & fielded well in the first half of BD inning, gave away too many runs in the second half as they committed many mistakes as noted below.
(1) Chameera the best bowler in the day, bowled two overs short and the captain should be me more careful when he makes bowling changes to ensure the best bowler’s full quota of overs is used.
(2) As usual, our bowling in the middle & death overs was pretty ordinary. Needs lot of improvement. To me Sandakan was the weak link in our bowling attack.
(3) We need wicket taking bowlers to take wickets and control the flow of runs of the opposition during middle overs.
(4) As usual our death bowling was also bad. Both Chameera and Udana bowled two of their worst overs towards the end of the inning (49th & 50th overs) giving away 24 runs. It was a poor show by both of them when compared with the quality of their earlier spells. Until two fast bowlers are fully developed to do the death bowling Wanindu also could be used for couple of overs at the death.
(5) I believe that Sandakan is not an attacking spinner in our white ball teams. He has a very poor control both in his line & length. For LH batters he is not able to bowl effectively. I am quite puzzled why our coach does not realize this weak link in our bowling. Dananjaya or even Ramesh could be better options as our second spinner. Or else we need to develop another aggressive spinner. BD two spinners in comparison, bowled superbly and were more effective. We must have a good second spinner (after Wanindu) who can bowl accurately wicket to wicket. Due to this, our bowling attack is looking very thin with only three strong & effective options and the captain has to distribute 20 overs (instead of usually 10 overs) among two part timers plus Sandakan. This has leaked many runs to the opposition in the last 25 or middle overs.
(1) Team selection? Until the young batters are established, we must play our available inform seniors. Dickwella should have been played today instead of Ashen Bandara.
(2) Out of Pathum & Bandara I would prefer Pathum gets some continuity first.
(3) One of the major mistakes in today’s match was to send Wanindu to bat so low in the batting order. Even the commentators were mentioning this point. He is now in his prime form. Even in the practice match he proved that. I would have preferred him to bat at no 5 after Kusal Mendis. Wanidu is a power hitter who scores heavily with cricketing shots (not slogging). But he should be advised by the coach not to hit at every ball and be more selective. Today in the latter stage when wickets started falling from the other end, he batted more sensibly & carefully. Unfortunately, he got out, otherwise SL would have won the game.
(6) Today BD had 5 strong / effective bowling options. Due to this all our top order batsmen had difficulty in scoring fast (except Dhanushka).