4073 ODI matches have been played so far and bowlers have achieved hat tricks in 46 matches. It took 158 ODI matches for a bowler to first claim a hat trick. Jalal – ud – Din of Pakistan was the first bowler to obtain a Hat trick; it was on 20 September 1982 against Australia. While Chetan Sharma of India was the 1st bowler to claim a hat trick in World cup matches, it was against New Zealand in the 1987 World Cup
Known as the Yorker king, Lasith Malinga of Sri Lanka is the only bowler in the World to claim 3 ODI hat tricks and the only bowler to claim 4 wickets in 4 balls. While Chaminda Vaas is the only bowler to claim a hat-trick in the first three balls of an ODI when he took the first three wickets against Bangladesh during the 2003 World Cup.
Sri Lanka bowlers are at the top of the charts with 9 hat tricks.
- Sri Lankan bowlers have taken 9 hat tricks which is the highest. Pakistan has 8 hat tricks. Australia has 6 hat tricks to their name and the rest is; 5 by Bangladesh, 4 by England and South Africa, 3 by India and South Africa and two each by 2 by West Indies and Zimbabwe.
- 8 Hat tricks were taken against Zimbabwe and 7 against Australia which is the highest against any nation. Sri Lanka comes in 2nd with 5 taken against them. The rest is; 4 against New Zealand, West Indies, Pakistan India, 3 against Bangladesh, 2 against England, Kenya and South Africa and 1 against Netherlands.
- 5 hat tricks were taken at the Shere Bangla National stadium in Mirpur which is the highest at any ground. Sharjah Stadium in Sharjah and R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo has featured in 4 Hat tricks. Harare Sports Club, Harare and Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne has seen 3 hat tricks going down in their grounds, with 2 each in Sydney Cricket ground, Rangiri Dambulla International stadium and the Oval.
- In 22 occasions out of 46 the hat trick ball had bowled the batsmen out, it was a LBW in 10 occasions, caught off the fielders in 8 occasions, caught by the Wicket keeper five times and it has been a caught and bowled once; the batsmen out was Nehra and Harmison picked up the wicket.
- 9 hat tricks have fallen in World cups. Chetan Sharma in the 1987 World Cup, Saqlain Mushtaq in the 1999 World cup, Vaas and Lee in 2003, Malinga in 2007, Roach and Malinga in 2011 and Finn and Duminy in 2015.
- Lasith Malinga is the only bowler to take 3 ODI hat tricks, the only bowler to have 4 career hat tricks, 2 world cup hat tricks and also the 3rd bowler in the World to have taken Hat tricks in ODI’s and T20 after Brett Lee and Thisara Perera.
- 37 ODI hat tricks has been taken by fast bowlers and only 9 by spinners; Saqlain, Razzak, Utseya, Islam, Duminy, Wanidu, Kuldeep and Thahir. Out of which Wanidu is the first Leg break bowler to pick by a hat trick the followed by Kuldeep Yadav and Imran Thahir, and Saqlain is the only spinner to have 2 ODI hat tricks.
- 37 hat tricks have been taken by right arm bowlers and only 9 by left armers.
- The youngest bowler to pick up an ODI hat trick was Aaqib Javeed of Pakistan who took it when he was 19 years and 81 days. Wanidu is the 2nd youngest with 19 years and 338 days to his name.
- Only 4 bowlers has picked up Hat tricks on debut; Taijul Islam of Bangladesh against Zimbabwe, Kagiso Rabada against Bangladesh, Wanidu Hasaranga against Zimbabwe and Shehan Madushanka against Bangladesh.