in

Would Sri Lanka Cricket have launched an inquiry over Randiv incident had it been Zimbabwe?

When the batsman on strike is on 99 runs, what happens? The captain from the opposition brings the field in to prevent that batsman from making those runs, right?

Well, Sri Lanka Cricket has decided that such tactics go against the "spirit" of the game and it hopes to penalise it’s players.


If you haven’t heard about the Randiv-Sehwag incident by now, what the @#$%??

Okay, any way, let me explain. Sehwag was on 99 and India needed one run to win. Randiv intentionally oversteps conceding a front foot no-ball, and Sehwag smashes it for six. The no-ball stands denying Sehwag his century.

The Indians made a big stink about it and now Secretary of the non elected interim committee that governs Sri Lanka Cricket has called for an inquiry.

Severely embarrassed by Randiv’s act, when Virender Sehwag was on 99 and Team India one run short of winning, SLC wants to “act firmly”. Not least because it doesn’t want relations with the Board of Control for Cricket in India to take a hit.

The interim committee, one learns, can recommend a fine or a ban or both.

Stung by Sehwag’s “it was a deliberate no ball” attack, SLC directed Tennekoon “to conduct an immediate internal inquiry” as it was “necessary to clear the good name of Sri Lanka cricket on a priority basis”. (CT)

What a load of rubbish? They can’t be serious about banning or fining a player over an incident which the players should sort out themselves, and they have!

Randiv’s antics were criticised by Sehwag in the post match press conference but the issue seems to be cooling off after the Lankan bowler offered apologies.

"Randiv came to my room and apologised," Sehwag wrote on his Twitter page. (HT)

Sri Lanka’s captain blamed the media for blowing the whole thing out of proportion. "The media has this tendency to blow things out of proportion. It should not sensationalise things before the truth has been arrived at. The media should be more responsible in its coverage,” Sangakkara told DNA.

The media frenzy over this incident really got SLC secretary Nishantha Ranatunga on his hands and knees begging for forgiveness. It was after all Ranatunga who initiated this inquiry.

Meanwhile, Team India manager Ranjib Biswal said Sri Lanka Cricket have apologised for the incident. “I received a call from Nishantha Ranatunga (SLC secretary) this (Tuesday) morning. He was apologetic. He said he and SLC are sorry about it. He also informed that they are conducting an internal inquiry. So we have accepted the apology and decided to treat the incident as a closed chapter,” Biswal said.

“Ranatunga expressed his regret officially and asked me to convey it to the Indian team and particularly to Sehwag,” Biswal added. He also spoke to BCCI officials regarding the matter. The manager, however, conceded that the team felt bad about the bowler’s action. “We didn’t have a team meeting but all of us felt bad. The sentiment was that Viru deserved a century for the way he played,” Biswal said. (DNA)

However, the man who was Randiv’s principal in high school had a different view.

"I watched the match on TV and I would call it a clever move. Why should he be criticised? It is clearly not against the spirit of the game".

"He was a captain of the college (2004) and was a well-mannered and well-disciplined pupil. In the school, his behaviour was never questioned. Even if he had been guided by others on Monday, I don’t call him guilty at all" said the former principal adding "And since he has already apologised, the matter should be treated as closed". (DM)

One of the reasons that India and Sri Lanka play each other as often is the fact that Sri Lanka Cricket is bankrupt and begs India for tours to keep it’s bank overdraft afloat. Each tour pays out over $35M. Those are big numbers.

I wonder if Nishantha Ranatunga would have felt this bad and launched an inquiry if the batsman was Tatenda Taibu and the team  was Zimbabwe?

Leave a Comment