We just observed 3 heavy defeats to south Africa as we have expected even before the start of the series. Now we are lacking the skills required for limited overs cricket. Even a small cricket fan can understand that by looking at the ODI team that they never going to give a good fight against any quality opponent. Our test team has Rangana Herath and Dimuth karunarathne. These two players give a huge differnce to the team. Whenever ODI starts we can not win. But we are capable of winning against them as we play in home condition and also they are with out AB devilliers and experieneced fast bowlers.The major reasons for loosing.
1) Sending Niroshan Dickwella for openning the innings ( he is not a trusful batter now)
2) Not oppening with Kusal Mendis
3) not bowling accurate yorkers at the death overs
4) Rely too much on spinners and expecting that spin will deliver wickets as happend in test matches
5) not enough motivation to win or play aggressive cricket
6) not tartgetting 300+ scores when batting
7) do not know how to maintain 6+ run rate when batting by keeping wickets in hand
8) iressponsible batting , no patience, no partnerships
9) no motivation to chase big scores when batting second (during 96 that was our preference)
10) Not playing quality experienced 4 bowlers in the playing eleven
if we need to comment on individual perfermences. Can not blame only Mathews for the losses. Due to injuries or frequent changing of captaincies he is in and out most of the time. Now we saw thisara taking crucial wickets, but he is leaking runs. Any fast bowler doen't bowl accurate yorkers at all. Niroshan dickwella allways plays reckless shots and get out. When chasing 300+ scores luck will not favour you allways, So you have to keep your head down and play big innings. Upul tharanga needs to score more runs. Angelo needs to bat with healthy run rate than this (may be 80). Kusal mendis has to score regularly and needs to be transformed as a consistent batter. When chandimal enters the team hope batting order will get stronger.