With only nine days left for departure for their short series against Zimbabwe, the Lankan contingent is still afflicted by a series of injury obstacles.
- Lankan woes start with captain Angelo Mathews who still convalescing from his calf injury which cut-short his series against Australia.
- The other worrying injuries are the ones that have afflicted Kusal Janith Perera (calf) and Dhananjaya de Silva (finger injury) who batted with a lot of poise during the last series against Australia. There he scored his maiden Test century (129) and followed it up with 65 not out in the Test match that was played at the SSC. He also scored a half century in the ODI series and one during the T-20 series.
- Nevertheless the most disturbing is the condition with the Lankan fast bowling contingent. Experienced fast bowlers Dhammika Prasad, Lasith Malinga, Dushmantha Chameera are still in the injured list. The latest in the injured list is Nuwan Pradeep according to Senanayake. “The only fit fast bowler Suranga Lakmal too is among the experienced hands”.
- The condition of Sri Lanka vice captain wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Chandimal who underwent surgery after being struck on the hand while playing a Mercantile Premier League match a few days ago remains a cause for concern.
Possible Players in the Squad-
1.Angelo Mathews (capt)(All-Rounder)(injured)
2.Dinesh Chandimal (vice-capt)(Batsman)(injured)
9. Nuwan Pradeep(Fast-Bowler)(injured)
13.Dushmantha Chameera(If Fit)(Fast-Bowler)(injured)
14.Lakshan Sandakan (Spinner)
20.Asela Gunarathne (All-Rounder)
21. Anuk Fernando(Fast-Bowler)