West Indies have always been second to the Sri Lankan team but in recent times it has changed drastically. In the miserable T20 World Cup final in 2012, and also even in the warm-up game, West Indies had the upper hand comfortably, but going into the semi-finals of the ICC World T20 2014, both teams have changed somewhat and there are new faces that haven’t been exposed much.
Sachithra Senanayake, Dinesh Chandimal, Kusal Janith Perea are the new faces that West Indies haven’t seen much of, and Krishmar Santokie and Samuel Badree are also not too familiar to the Lankans. The Important part is those players are much valuable to each team and they can do much damage to each opponent.
For Sri Lanka defeating West Indies won’t be easy. But there is no option. How to do it? That’s the big question.
Here are the ways…..
– Gayle force can be stopped by Kulasekara becose of the weakness shown by Gayle of the good length ball leaving him. Buwaneshvar Kumar done it well and in the past Kulasekara done it also.
– Smith has the same problem but with Rangana Herath can exploit that weakness as well as Angelo Mathews, Thissara Perera.
– Sachira haven’t played much against West Indies (only one ODI giving only 41 runs for 9 overs) and he can handle the middle order of the West Indies with Herath.
– Malinga and Kulasekara will have to up their game to not give away runs in the death overs as West Indies are not good with Yorkers and Wide Yorkers. Slow ball yorkers can be effective too. • As they do not take much singles protecting the singles can also build the pressure and lead to a rash shot.
– Kusal Janith is expected to show his weaknesses when batting against Badree. As Kusal tend to move a lot and cut the ball with the high speed leg breaks can get him out easily. Kusal will have to create a way to combat Badree as he opens the bowling.
– If Ravi Plays that means Dilshan will have a tuff time as he as dismissed more time to Ravi. But if West Indies keep the same 11 then Santokie’s slow balls can effect Dilshan and he will have to keep eye on the swinging balls of his.
– If Sri Lanka can score more runs of others then Sunil Narine won’t be a big factor. Lankans can play out his overs and then it will be a good total. Sri lankans must go after Santokie and Badree without taking many risks but from the other bowlers they must go over 10 runs per over.
Sri Lanka must play all the bowlers of West Indies like they are slow medium fast bowlers who are blowing slow balls and cutters. The key is if Sri lanka wins the toss and there is no dew they must bat first as the bowling in Sri Lanka’s strong zone now and also West Indies back themselves to defend any total as Bravo told in the post-match interview of WI vs PAK.
West Indies batting does on look good as their bowling and if Sri lankan can put them under- pressure as they did in 2012 final and not give any room to unleash as one player of West Indies can take the game away.
For an easy win West Indies must get out if they bat first for around 110 and If Sri Lanka bat first they must score over 190 runs. But the par score will be 160 for both sides and that will be a good contest and a nail-biter. Sri Lanka has the resources to upset West Indies and West Indies has the power to blow Sri Lanka away.
Will see what happens!