Source of Rumors-
In Test cricket, the opening pair is one of the keys and their success is really important for a team to make an impact. Dhananjaya has opened batting at domestic level and he is in contention for an opening slot with Sadeera Samarawickrema who batted at number 3 in his maiden Test in Dubai.
Mendis, one of Sri Lanka’s brighter prospects, with three centuries and four half-centuries under his belt in as many as 22 matches, was a pale shadow of himself during the recent Pakistan series, scoring just 58 runs in four innings—a major contribution towards his axing from the side. Kaushal, who is Karunaratne’s opening partner, has for a while struggled for runs at the top of the order and his axing was no surprise.
But Mendis’s exclusion has surprised former Sri Lanka skipper Mahela Jayawardene who questioned the wisdom of the selectors. “Don’t understand how Kusal Mendis is not in the squad to India? Even if he is not playing, he should be in India. That’s how young players learn,” Mahela tweeted.
Against India at home, Mendis smashed a century (110) in the second Test. The selectors have also retained Lakshan Sandakan in the side ahead of Malinda Pushpakumara—the left arm spinner who is in great form. Pushpakumara, who made his debut against India in August, had picked up 23 wickets in six innings as Sri Lanka A put up a spirited effort to record a 2-1 win in the unofficial Test series. With all-rounder Asela Gunaratne yet to regain complete match fitness after a long injury-lay-off, the selectors have recalled Dasun Shanaka into the side. Shanaka scored an unbeaten 102 and 60 in the second unofficial Test match against West Indies A.
The Test tour will be succeeded by three ODIs and three T20 Internationals.
Kusal Mendis cracks 124 in the opening match in the Under 23 First-Class Tournament Today to hopefully put his name back in the Test Squad
Probable Sri Lanka squad: Dinesh Chandimal (Captain),Kusal Mendis, Dimuth Karunaratne, Dhananjaya de Silva, Sadeera Samarawickrema, Angelo Mathews, Roshen Silva, Niroshan Dickwella, Rangana Herath, Lakshan Sandakan, Dilruwan Perera, Suranga Lakmal, Nuwan Pradeep, Vishwa Fernando, Lahiru Gamage and Dasun Shanaka.
The Best XI from this possible Sri lankan Squad-
1. Dhananjaya de Silva (All-Rounder)(Right-hand Batsman)(Slow Right-arm Off-Spin)
2. Dimuth Karunaratne (Left-hand Batsman)
3. Sadeera Samarawickrama (Right-hand Batsman)
4. Kusal Mendis(Right-hand Batsman)
5. Dinesh Chandimal (Right-hand Batsman)(Captain)
6. Angelo Mathews (Right-hand Batsman)
7. Niroshan Dickwella (Left-hand Batsman)(Wicket-keeper)
8. Lakshan Sandakan (Slow left-arm chinaman)
9. Rangana Herath (Slow left-arm orthodox)(Vice-Captain)
10. Nuwan Pradeep (Right-Arm Fast-Medium)
11. Lahiru Gamage (Right-Arm Medium-Fast)
12. Roshen Sliva (Right-hand Batsman)
13. Dilruwan Perera(Slow Right-arm Off-Spin)
14. Vishwa Fernando(Left-Arm Fast-Medium)
15. Suranga Lakmal(Right-Arm Medium-Fast)
16. Dasun Shanaka(All-Rounder)(Right-hand Batsman)(Right-Arm Medium)