I am about to give you the names of the 10 players from your great nation that are my favourites. Please note they are the players I enjoyed the most not the ones I thought were the best.
1. Arjuna Ranatunga – I’m a person who loves men with courage and this guy had it in spades.He was a very fine batsman but was known for his deeds as a leader.In this role he moulded a team around him that were like a band of brothers and him the big brother over seeing them.This culminated in the glorious World cup win in 1996
2. Chaminda Vaas – In my thinking along with Zaheer Khan this guy is the most underrated player of the last 25 years.A very fine left arm bowler and a more than able lower order batsman.I just loved the guy heart to match his huge talent
3.Aravinda de Silva-The first great Sri Lankan batsman and a more than able spin option especially in Odi’s. The innings he played in the 1996 World Cup final was of the highest class
4. Romesh Shantha Kaluwitharana – Little ‘Kalu’ how I loved this guy! He was so breathtaking opening the batting with Sanath Jayasuriya. I just liked the fact that he was like a little stick of dynamite-so very explosive!
5. Roy Dias – This number three batsman was such a classical batsman and such a joy to watch.He was such an elegant player and his timing was truly Moorish. In a fight he was great too often leading Sri Lanka out of trouble. His class was shown in a superb match winning innings again India in 1985/6 with his team in real strife
6. Asanka Pradeep Gurusinha – I often think this guy is the invisible man of Sri Lankan cricket for he never gets the respect he deserves for his deeds.His partnership with Aravinda in the 96 World Cup was decisive.Though to see his true class his innings at the MCG in 1995/6 of 143 was top shelf in class
7. Rumesh Joseph Ratnayake – A fast bowler that cries on a cricket field! That to me is akin to a politician who tells the truth it just makes no sense to me at all.Though you have to love this guy for his heart which was like a fat Swiss gold watch,it ticked that true
8. Sanath Jayasuriya – If this list was about the best players from your great nation he’d be in the top 5,Though its about my favourites and if he had of retired when he should have he wouldn’t have lost my respect.This being said this guy was the sole reason for revolutionising how openers played in limited overs cricket
9. Muttiah Muralitharan – Again if its about the best hed be number 1.Though love this guy more for his off field deeds.His sincere smile and his heart of gold.The guy is a human of the highest class!
10. Dinesh Chandimal – I have no doubt this guy is the next big thing in Sri Lankan cricket. He has it all a batsman that has been truly blessed greatly from above. A natural leader too.I have no doubt he should be in the side for all three forms of the game!
My apologise to players such as Mahela and Sangakkara and a few others.If this was a list of the players I saw as the best you’d be in the top 5.