Here is an extract of a comment I posted recently as a reply to a wrong speculation posted by someone. I thought of posting it as a blog article, since I have never seen them published in any media in SL. The reason for posting it here is, these undeniable achievements seem to be negatively affecting a player's valuable career in SL cricket today. It is quite obvious the reason behind recent axing is not related to cricket. No one would dump a gold coin to place a penny, unless there is a burning desire to do so for some unbearable personal feeling..
After putting up 2 consecutive 50+ stands by UT /ND pair, well within PP1 to set launching pad for 300 winning totals in last 2 odis Vs SA… Slotting in a walking wkt like Kusal Mendis from nowhere to Open in 2 Asia Cup Games (benching Dickwella), ended with Double Duck gate openings triggering massive collapses! There was absolutely no need for that. That move was highly unethical shattering of a winning combination. Why?
Then came the next episode, after Upul's 2nd Duck in 38 innings played over 2 yrs (No batter can avoid such a rare duck) he was benched for the next 2 crucial matches to reinstall Mendis (not even in the original squad ) to repeat his Duck act. Both matches went down due to thef lack of runs on the board from top order and the huge number of Dot-balls. As the stats prove, Tharanga & Dickka were the best productive & most aggressive SL batters during past 2 yrs. Benching Tharanga would have easily been the cause for the 2 defeats. Except for Opener Dickwella & allrounder Shanka, no one could reach 50. Tharanga is the only one with a proven ability to make that big 50 or 100 frequently and he was about to deliver the due big ones as his past 2 yr record clearly proves.
When an yesteryear 20 Averaged Opener makes the prime call, this is what happens.!
CRICFANUS @ —- X YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG !
HERE ARE SOME OF UPUL's WORLD RANKINGS / Records as OPENER .!
1) Upul Tharanga ( As Opener: 186 ings – 6,062 runs facing 8037 balls ) is RANKED at No-9 spot in HIGHEST RUN MAKERS among World odi OPENERS, who had played less than 225 innings and faced under 10,000 balls.
2) With Tharanga’s 15 CENTURIES from 186 Innings as Opener, He is RANKED at N0-6 in Highest Century Makers among World Odi Openers who had played less than 225 innings and faced under 10,000 balls.
3) UPUL THARANGA is sharing the WORLD RECORD (with Ricky Ponting) for building the HIGHEST NUMBER OF DOUBLE HUNDRED STANDS (SEVEN)
4) Top 5 Highest Opening Partnerships In Word ODI Cricket
Upul Tharanga and Tillakaratne Dilshan
Hashim Amla and Quinton de Kock:
David Warner and Travis Head
Upul Tharanga and Sanath Jayasuriya
Fakhar Zaman and Imam-ul Haq
Upul is the ONLY ODI batter in the world involved in TWO Highest partnerships among top Five Opening Partnerships.!
5) One-Day Internationals / Batting records / Carrying bat through a completed innings – Tharanga is among the 11 batters in the World Odi Cricket to Achieve that (Only SL batter). He did that last year single handedly trying to halt a whitewash Vs Pak, but ran out of partners in ever crumbling batting unit, before making the final few runs to win that match!
On 16 October 2017, In the process of that diehard effort to lift SL, Tharanga became the first batsman for Sri Lanka, and the first Captain in the WORLD overall, to carry his bat in an ODI. The appropriately heartening reward he received from SLC in return was blame for the whitewash & immediate axing from captaincy.
The above unique achievements were never HIGHLIGHTED in SL. If they were achieved by someone else belongs to the privileged elite group of City boys, that would have been GLORIFIED for ever.!
WHAT MORE DO YOU EXPECT FROM AN OPENER…???