- Sanath Jayasuriya Mentioned Lahiru thirimanne being in the original squad but he pulled his hamstring, therefore, Lahiru Kumara replaced him in the Squad.He also mentioned that Lahiru Thrimanne is in there plans for the future therefore you could see him against India if he recovers in time.
Offical Full Squad:
Dinesh Chandimal, Upul Tharanga, Rangana Herath, Angelo Mathews, Dimuth Karunaratne, Niroshan Dickwella, Kusal Mendis, Asela Gunaratne, Suranga Lakmal, Lahiru Kumara, Dilruwan Perera, Lakshan Sandakan, Dushmantha Chameera, Danushka Gunathilake, Vishwa Fernando
- Angelo Mathews was unavailable for the series against Bangladesh due to injury and has returned in place of Dhananjaya De Silva. It remains to be seen if Mathews will bowl as he did seem to be carrying a niggle during the recently concluded ODI series.
- Dinesh Chandimal was named skipper of the Test team following the resignation of Angelo Mathews and will lead the team in red-ball cricket for the very first time in the Test against Zimbabwe.
- Despite Pradeep's absence, the return of Chameera adds an edge to the seam attack. Between him and Lahiru Kumara, Sri Lanka have, for the first time in years, two bowlers who can consistently clock 145kph on the speed gun. Suranga Lakmal is the sole experienced hand from among the quicks, with left-armer Vishwa Fernando having only played one Test as well.
- When the selectors accepted Angelo Mathews' resignation Tuesday night, they were discussing the replacement as well. Chandimal had emerged the front runner to be captain in all three formats. But overnight the selectors felt that a split captaincy was the best way forward and rightly so.
- Upul Tharanga richly deserves the leadership of the shorter formats of the game as he has been a loyal servant of Sri Lankan cricket.
- Chandimal said that he wants Sri Lanka to improve the ranking in Test cricket. Currently we are ranked number seven. It will be interesting to see where he will take this team.
- He has conducted himself in an exemplary way. No tattoos, no ear-rings, no late night parties and no sex scandals. A perfect role model to be leading Sri Lanka. Have we found the next Arjuna Ranatunga of Sri Lankan cricket?
Niroshan Dickwella is likeliest to take the gloves, with Chandimal now captaining the side. The one-off Test begins in Khettarama on Friday, and follows Sri Lanka's 3-2 defeat to Zimbabwe in the ODI series.