Discussion thread: Sri Lanka v Canada at Hambantota - 3rd Match, ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 - Feb 20, 2011

39 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 1514
True, SunJ...a bit too

True, SunJ...a bit too cocky...lol

Patrick Adams (not verified)
Beware of media spin

Not sure if Ashish Bagai has been "shooting his mouth off a bit". There was one article I read online that had a picture of Ash but an unrelated headling headline suggesting that Sri Lanka would not have home advantage when they play Canada.

Other than stating that Canada's aim is to win three games and progress to the quarter-finals, I don't think Ash has been cocky. And to reach the quarter-finals is an aspirational aim. England's aim is to win the World Cup, and that ain't gonna happen!

Ash is probably unused to the media spotlight and may be more susceptable to falling into the trap of agreeing with a leading question and thus giving the journalists the quotes they want. Ash turned his back on lucrative career as a merchant banker to captain his country. How many cricketers at the World Cup can say that they took a pay cut in order to play the game? I salute him!

User offline. Last seen 4 hours 30 min ago. Offline
StaffTop Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 20452
How are you watching the

How are you watching the tournament, Patrick? Please share your thoughts on this as well: http://www.islandcricket.lk/forum/srilan...

User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 1682
Stunning coup for Canadian

Stunning coup for Canadian cricket. They got Hathurusingha working for them!

http://www.islandcricket.lk/news/srilank...

He's not really just another

He's not really just another former Sri Lankan player either. Chandika was a part of the current coaching staff very recently so he has an understanding of SL's strategies and knows the weaknesses of our players.

Because he left on such a sour note, it is an advantage for other teams; he will do everything he can to prove to SLC that he is an asset, even from behind enemy lines. :-)

Patrick Adams (not verified)
Why go to Canada?

I wonder why Hathurusingha has gone to Canada? They won't have anything like the resources that the big countries have, either in terms of wages on offer or playing ability. I can't help thinking that if he was such a huge asset Hathurusingha would be coaching for a bigger team!

This is only for the World

This is only for the World Cup, I hear. Its not a long term thing.

Canada skipper shrugs off

Canada skipper shrugs off memories of 2003 defeat

Canada captain Ashish Bagai insists that the record-breaking World Cup rout suffered at the hands of Sri Lanka in 2003 will have no bearing when the teams meet on Sunday.

Bagai played in the Canada side which was bowled out for a paltry 36 - still the lowest total in all World Cup tournaments - at Paarl in South Africa.

But the 29-year-old, Delhi-born wicketkeeper, is adamant that the humiliating loss is not an issue.

"There are only two guys from that World Cup here - myself and John Davison - and we don?t talk about that game too much. But the one before that is still in my mind," said Bagai, of his team's only World Cup win against Bangladesh at Benoni in 2003.

Bagai has instructed his team to play without fear and not freeze when they face 1996 champions Sri Lanka on Sunday in their opening Group A clash.

More: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/art...

User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 138
won't be a repeat of 2003

won't be a repeat of 2003 when none of the canadian players got double figures.

enjoy the game everyone :-)

come on Sri Lanka

Win the toss and bat first,

Win the toss and bat first, yeah?

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
Enter each letter you see in the box below. It helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.