Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 15:14

@MTC, yup, may be they didn't expect Sachitra to make a such a strong come back. So wanted to back up Herath with another specialist spinner who cud bat a bit. But now since Sachitra is back to his usual best(may be even better than earlier), don't see why we need a 3rd spinner in the 15 with Dilshan already there.

Posted in: England ODI’s help selectors confirm 13 of the 15 World Cup places by UppercuT - Reply to this comment.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 15:04

@Uppercut - I do see your point about the spinning all-rounder. Dilshan has been as effective, if not more, as Jeewan and Seekkuge. There is a very good chance they'd take Mahroof as cover for TP, at the expense of the 3rd spinner. I am just surprised as to why they did not want to give him a try against Eng, specially after the series win. I took that as an indication they aren't looking at him.

Posted in: England ODI’s help selectors confirm 13 of the 15 World Cup places by MyTwoCents - Reply to this comment.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 14:56

@MTC, i understand, that KJP has not made use of the opportunities he got, but I expect Sanath of all people to pick him just for this simple reason:

Sanath after 35 ODIs as an opener:

Just in case

KJP after 30 ODIs as an opener:

Just in case

RE: to be honest; I can't understand having a spinning allrounder in the middle(especially since we already have Dilshan), but if they really want to, I would pick Seekku. Otherwise my option would be Maha

RE: Ramith; well Sanath pulled a similar stunt before the T20 WC, but at the end, Ramith wasnt in the squad. So i guess this time also, it's just to make Ramith's daddy happy, and won;t make to the final 15 :D)))))

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 12:45
Posted in: Sangakkara and Jayawardene will leave big hole for Sri Lanka - Arnold by CoverDrive - Reply to this comment.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 12:06

UppercuT - Something tells me that KJP might have used up all his changes for this world cup. I too had believed Mahroof would make it to this squad. However, I find it hard to see selectors going with someone they did not care to test during the recent ODI's. Priyanjan too did not seem to be in the selector's radar as of late. Jeewan however I think still stands a chance if they preffered the better batsman of the two leg spinning allrounders. Now let's not forget Ramith and that the team is to be announced BEFORE the elections hahahaha

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 12:02

Stormy - Always honored to get a comment from you! Agree with Stormy that if Mahela is to open, then there will be a the desire for an extra cover in the middle. However, if Tissara is at #8, would that not RULE OUT the option of playing two front line spinners when conditions warrant? I mean, if we are only playing 3 out and out bowlers and 2 are spinners, that leaves us with just one death fast bowler, unless you want to risk it with Tissara or Angelo. It can be argued that with Dilshan's improved consistency with the ball, we only need to play one front line spinner. However, I wonder if relying on 3 part-time bowlers to give you 20 overs might work nearly as well in Australia as it does in the subcontinent. Just a thought.

They are still going to have to pick an extra batsman. I guessed it would be Upul. May be it will be Dimuth if he scores big in the first test leading up to the deadline to name the squad. I still hold hope that whoever it is, they'd try that batsman as the opener in the NZ ODI's and it works out so Mahela can bat at #4.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 11:59

unsung hero really, I thought Sanga would be man of the series but Dilly deserved it. Dont know if it's just me but its the first I saw Dilshan bowling a leg spinner!!

Posted in: Milestone man Tillakaratne Dilshan completes 9000 ODI runs by Stormy - Reply to this comment.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 11:57

No mean fete this folks - the man is an altime legend.

Posted in: Kumar Sangakkara's golden year to remember by Stormy - Reply to this comment.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 11:56

What a player and what a record to break and the man wants to retire!!

Posted in: Sangakkara breaks runs record on emotional last game by Stormy - Reply to this comment.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 11:55

Ok here's one for you folks. I reckon we try Chandi! Yes that is not a mistake. The idea is to test him with the new ball with a view of opening in the one dayers and getting Mahela in to the middle order. I am still not convinced of batting the big three up the order for the WC.

Posted in: Who should open with Kaushal Silva against NZ in the Boxing Day Test? by Stormy - Reply to this comment.