Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 16:09

Surod & Stormy... well said. I completely agree with you. What's going on here Surod...we are agreeing on something. It can't be good... just kidding. Yes Stormy.. I like your analogy... But I think English have moved on..after seeing the light. ..I do have reservations about Kaushal Silva in one day team. And also the point raised by Surod..that he is bit like Justin Langer...but Justin became better..eventhough he is not naturally talented.. but got the best out of his abilities.. I am not sure absorbing too many balls and playing like old English side would work. But I admire him because he turned his career around.. we are talking about a player who has been scoring so heavily in domestic competition. Let's wait and see..but my problem is Selectors are putting everything in one Basket.... hoping for the best. I would have thought playing Dhanuska, Sehan & Munaweera... in combination.. see how they go and then make a decision.
Well practicality is seriously in short supply in SLC...so not surprised!!!

Posted in: Kaushal Silva under selection scrutiny by Byron Raj - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 14:58

@Anonymous #3, the problem is every time Mahela opened and as u mentioned when he got out cheaply on rare occasion we didn't/ don't have some one of Mahela's adaptability and experience to 're-adjust' and 're-calculate' in the middle order. Example CB series 2012

now Mahela does it beautifully in the middle order; take the recent Indian ODIs, he recovered and rebuilt the innings(after the openers + SANGA departed cheaply)with such ease.

For me if Mahela MUST open then Dilshan must come down to the middle order...

Posted in: Why Mahela Jayawardane should not open for SL by UppercuT - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 14:54

UpperCut - Good points! Agree the 3 seniors are not aggressive any more. However, we can only go with what we have and in my opinion, we don't have anyone like Sanath, Kalu or Gilchrist. I do think Upual Tharanga deserves an opportunity to complete with Lahiru for #6. KJP is a great prospect, but what he has yet to prove that he can be consistent enough.

I also think that we don't need to score 350 in Australia and NZ. If we get 280, that is a competitive score. We can get that without the likes of Sanath, Kalu or Gilchrist, simply by batting sensibly.

The England ODI squad will tell us what the selectors are thinking.

Posted in: WC success with Test opener, early powerplay and stop flirting with guilty pleasures! by MyTwoCents - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 14:43

Agree with the points abt Batting PP. One mistake SL made during the Indian ODIs was trying to copy indian tactics and be ultra aggressive by talking Batting PP early and go after the bowling. Don't think SL is used to that.
So agree that SL should use it to disrupt the oppositions plans rather than to up the scoring, cus with 4 fielders inside the 30 yard, it's almost always like the Batting PP in the last 10 overs.

".....ideal candidate to provide stability at the top and allow the more naturally aggressive seniors the opportunity to bat freely around him......."

problem with that is, the 'seniors' are NOT aggressive as they used to be!

Dilshan's strike rate has come down since 2011 and his average has increased.. which means HE is the STABLE opener now! What he needs is an aggressive opener who takes CALCULATED risks(This 'calculated' part is what's missing in Kusal Perera)

and I don't agree that we necessarily need 'Test' openers to survive in Aus conditions; best examples are Sanath,Kalu and Gilchrist who never had great technique, but had great success on pitches down under.

again i wouldn't mind going in with a Test opener IF we had a proper aggressive opener at the other end, which we do not(say 29yr old Dilshan would do, but not 38yr old Dilshan)

In my personal opinion, now it's way too late to bring in a NEW opener(who will have NO prior experience in Aus anyway). Therefore I would take Tharanga and KJP as the openers to down under.

Posted in: WC success with Test opener, early powerplay and stop flirting with guilty pleasures! by UppercuT - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 14:19

I am not convinced this will work but its not like we have a heap of options. If you look at the other teams, most have aggressive opening batters so this would be like a English approach to one day cricket. Even they are now using aggressive batters at the top of the order.

Posted in: Kaushal Silva under selection scrutiny by Stormy - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 13:54

Far too many young Sri Lankan batsmen are always in the "promising" stage. They are always travelling and never arriving. Examples are Kapugedera, Chandimal, Kusal, Priyanjan, Rajapaksa.

To my mind it is not that they are without talent. I think they lack the mental strength and commitment to plan and execute a meaningful innings against top class bowling and fielding.It is one thing to score runs in the SLPL, it is another to do so consistently against International bowlers and fielders. Chandimal and Kapugedera in particular have given it away many times just when they were getting on top.On the other hand, Mathews plays the situation, starts carefully, and then puts on the pressure. Thirimanne too gets himself in before accelerating.All batsmen make mistakes. But, when the same mistake is repeated many times, something is seriously wrong.

The simple fact is that the batting cupboard is bare at this time.That is why the same players are given many chances. However, those players never seem to grab their chances. One innings wonders are just that. We need consistency.I feel that too many young batsmen have fallen for the trope about the Sri Lankan brand of "aggressive" cricket. What exactly does that term mean? Does it mean trying to hit every ball out of the park? Or that a blazing 25 runs is OK when a more sedate 50 runs is needed? "Nava gilunath band tune" does not win matches in International cricket except now and then.We need thinking batsmen, not "come or go Chicago" types.

Posted in: [Discussion Thread] England in Sri Lanka 2014 by Siri Sirisena (not verified) - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 12:25

Related - http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/moeen...

Posted in: Moeen to replace Hales for first warm-up against Sri Lanka A by CoverDrive - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 12:07

Some players are going through a bad run of form even though they are talented. I will put Kusal Perera in to this category. Also Kapugedara in his early ages when given the chance in the national team. So it is worth giving these players more and more chance to peform. They will come good.

I agree I haven't seen lot about Roshen Silva so could not say much about him. But I have seen enough of Bhanuka to have an idea. Most people say that he is highly talented and should be in the Sri Lankna side. But definitely not for me at least for now. He also have serious weaknesses in the technique like Priyanjan and Chandimal. Don't think he will be success in Aussie conditions during the WC if given the opportunity. His first class, List A and recent scores and prove my points during these 3 years of his career. Apart from this he also does not posses the maturity level and will go for attacking shots all the time and giving his wicket away cheaply.

Posted in: [Discussion Thread] England in Sri Lanka 2014 by Surod - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 11:57

i think its time to give him a chance ,but not a chance A PROPER CHANCE a decent chance i think it was a good investment

Posted in: Should Sri Lanka recall Chamara Kapugedera? by Anonymous (not verified) - Reply to this comment.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 11:43

@Hitman I agree with what you said that Priyanjan do not have the good technique but I thoroughly disagree with what you said here. Kapugedara is a highly talented player. Everyone have their opinions but to me Kapugedara is the most talented young player after Mathews and Kusal. Then why did selectors name him in the squad when he is at the age of 19. He is the youngest batsman came to International cricket for Sri Lanka in this century if I'm correct.

The problem that I see is he don't mature in the early years as like Mathews. Mathews willing to take the responsibility and pressure and win it for Sri Lanka. On the other hand Kapugedara also talented but cannot handle the pressure situations and come on top. This is what I like to see whether he now have the ability to be a good mature player who can handle pressure. It is worth a try and see.

Also hitman I agree Kithuruwan, Bhanuka and Roshen silva are talented but not as much as Kapu on his younger ages (Just to compare all at the same age). I agree Bangladesh bowlers are not good but this is exceptional performance by Kapu in the 1st 3 matches. Even Bhanuka and Roshen also playing where u said they are more talented than Kapu but their scores were very patchy. Specially look at Bhanuka first class and List A scores and recent scores do you think he deserved to be in the Sri Lankan side ???.

Rsohen Silva is a good technically correct batsman but don't have the power hitting that require in ODI's. But worth a look at both ODI and Test cricket after WC but not now. Kithuruwan Vithanage as u said deserved to be in the Sri Lankan side for the England tour. He is a technically correct batsman and also have the power hitting.

But as for now I feel best choice among these 4 players will be Kapugedara going for the WC. So we should look how he perform in the England series in the latter stages. I'm not saying we should give him a green right to go for the wc based on Ban performance. But definitely worth a look at.